Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Swim Your Way to Health
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2010

ernewill is on a distinguished road
Default Swimmer's elbow?

Hi all - I have swimmer's elbow...medial epicondylitis...also known as golfer's elbow. It didn't kick in until my 3.5 mile in St. John in May. And, it was aggravated by pour computer ergonomics (since corrected). Then it really flared up in June. Went to the doc. Got an injection in late June. Laid off the swimming for a month or two. Just occasional short workouts (1600 to 2000 yards). Now it has flared up again. I have been doing my phys therapy (at least what was recommended by a non-swimming doc. Hasn't really helped. Any advice, ideas? Are there elbow wraps that will provide support?
Thanks,
ern
Old 10-06-2010

madvet is on a distinguished road

I am definitely not an expert on this. In dealing with a mild shoulder strain I focused on not rotating my hand "internally" (that is, leading more with the little finger side and keeping my palm parallel to the soles of my feet). This also seems to take the strain off of my elbow as well.

If you have a good physical therapist, ask him or her which would be the less strain on your elbow -- pulling flat, or pulling with internal rotation (thumb-first).

Many people naturally have that internal rotation so it is something you may have to unlearn.
Old 10-06-2010

davidjo is infamous around these parts
Default Swimmers elbow

A resource I found during my rock climbing days is Dr. Julian Saunders dodgy elbow program.

Good luck!
Old 10-07-2010

Default thanks!

Madvet and Davidjo,
Thanks for the feedback. I used to have the shoulder problems due to rotating my left hand out....as if it would hold me up while breathing. Phys therapy and stroke correction solved that problem. This swimmers elbow is a real pain. I will pay attention to my hand position. Maybe rotate it in a little. And, I am going to read the website that Davidjo sent.
thanks again,
Ted
Old 10-07-2010

RadSwim is on a distinguished road
Default Pulling too hard?

I have had mild medial epicondylitis intermittently since I converted to a bent elbow catch and pull (EVF). It resolved when I quit pulling too hard on the left and removed an unnecessary lateral scull from my left catch. Are you doing something similarly dysfunctional?
Old 10-09-2010

Default Swimmers elbow

That is worth investigating. Guess I should take my snorkle to the pool take a good look at what my right hand is doing. Thanks.
Ted
Old 10-09-2010

KatieK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadSwim View Post
I have had mild medial epicondylitis intermittently since I converted to a bent elbow catch and pull (EVF). It resolved when I quit pulling too hard on the left and removed an unnecessary lateral scull from my left catch. Are you doing something similarly dysfunctional?
I also had minor trouble with a sore elbow when I started practicing EVF. It turns out I was tensing my arm too much. Once I started thinking of it as a "soft hook", the soreness went away. I also focus on keeping a relaxed, compact (i.e. just barely clearing the water) recovery arm.

Swimming really shouldn't put strain on the elbow; I'm with RadSwim on suspecting an issue with technique.

Good luck and please let us know how it goes.
Old 11-12-2010

Default Swimmer's elbow follow up

Again, appreciated the comments. Here is the latest.
I started doing the exercises at the website the Davidjo recommended. They were similar to what my doc recommended. I just needed to do them more regularly. They have begun to help. Especially squeezing a ball.
I am back in the pool and starting to increase my distance at a slow pace. 1600 yards the other day. Started with a 500 yard set that felt pretty good.

And, I am changing my technique per your suggestions and after reading some other threads.

Some discomfort is still there, but I am making progress.
All the best,
Ted
Old 11-13-2010
Coach

CoachBobM is on a distinguished road

I had an elbow problem in 2003, but I'm not sure it was the same as the one you're having. My mother died in August of 2002, and I was helping my sister and brother-in-law get her house ready to go on the market. We were lifting various pieces of furniture, and apparently I strained the tendon that connects my wrist muscles to my elbow. The treatment was to wrap a band around my forearm with a pad that applied pressure. What it did was provide an anchor point that the wrist muscle could pull on without pulling against the tendon.

I'd take off the band when I went in the water, and the only stroke that gave me any pain was butterfly, so I laid off it while the elbow was healing. Unfortunately, when I started swimming butterfly again several months later, it was obvious that the muscles that are specific to butterfly hadn't stayed conditioned. It took quite awhile to build them back up again.

But I gather than you've been having pain on more strokes than butterfly, so your problem may not be the same.

Bob
Old 12-19-2010

forests is on a distinguished road
Default Elbow Pain

After reading several posts on this topic, I thought I would add my comments to same. Over the last month, I too have developed "Golfers Elbow", or medial epicondylitis. Since I have never had this condition swimming TI (16 mos.), and after reading that it can occur by facing fingers back toward the forearm or perhaps thumb position upon entry, I have to assume that I've changed something in my mechanics to cause this. Sometimes I am aware of my recovery being slightly inside with my left arm but don't know if this is significant. My right elbow is fine. Maybe Coach Suzanne can troubleshoot this for me.
Thanks,
Steve

Last edited by forests : 12-19-2010 at 03:43 PM. Reason: incorrect word