Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Butterfly
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2009

Suddethb is on a distinguished road
Default Butterfly for Distance

I've been amazed by folks who can do 5K and more in butterfly. I set a personal goal of being able to do a mile at one stretch by December of 2009 (allowing for a grab at water as needed). I picked up the "Betterfly for Every Body" DVD by Terry Laughlin (http://www.totalimmersion.net/) for my birthday on Halloween 2008, and took a basic class in November so I'd have someone watch me and give me pointers. After that, it was just practicing and adding fly laps alternating with free to build upm my endurance.

I MADE THAT GOAL TODAY! 10 Months Early! (35 laps at 50 yds in 46 minutes.) I may not live till the morning or be able to lift my arms tomorrow, but today, I am thrilled! Owwww... Maybe I should have waited another month or two.

Not bad for a 49-year-old!

THANK YOU TERRY FOR INVENTING BOOMERFLY!

Brian Suddeth
Bowie, MD USA
Old 02-16-2009

Grant is on a distinguished road

Congratulations Brian.
That is a major accomplishment and speaks well of your tenacity, skill and committment as well as Terry's approach. Did you have to tough it out near the end and if so do you feel you maintained your form?
Once again kudos.
Old 02-16-2009

daveblt is on a distinguished road

Speaking of 5k butterfly ,does the name Tom Boettcher ring a bell ? He is probably the master of long distance fly and has done the Big Shoulders 5k Swim not once but at least quite a few times .I remember first reading an article about him in an issue of fitness swimmer magazine .I found the original article if you read through page 3 and 4.

http://www.njmasters.org/fastlane/20...ne_april03.pdf

Dave

Last edited by daveblt : 02-16-2009 at 03:21 AM.
Old 02-16-2009

Adam is on a distinguished road

Were you able to maintain propper technique?
I remember Terry saying that the problem with swimming Butterfly for such long distances is that the swimmers tend to develop a technique that makes it possible to survive the distance but it usually lacks elegance.
Old 02-16-2009

Default Mile Fly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
Did you have to tough it out near the end and if so do you feel you maintained your form?
Yes, I was definitely working harder at the end of that mile, but the only way that I kept going was to focus on form. Each time I noted the stress, I focused on relaxing instead of the effort. During the swim, I noted mild cramping in my right foot sole since I don't flex it except at the wall, and toward the end I was definitely noticing stress in my left bicep even as I tried to relax it more. Today, there is some soreness in the upper shoulders, light soreness in back and gluts and some in the one bicep, but much less than I anticipated.

I've been working on increasing my distances in Free by working on being more slippery and smooth. On Sunday when I did the mile Fly, that was after a 2 mile warmup in Free followed by another quarter mile in Free to cool off. On most Sundays I try to swim 3-4 miles and do a total of 5-6 miles a week now. Considering I was a spaz swimmer who couldn't easily pull a lap or pass the BSA swim test back in 2007, I'm shocked in the transformation!
Old 08-17-2013

I've expanded my use of butterfly, and according to Steven Munatones, I'm now in a somewhat small group of openwater swimmers who have done official events all in fly. I'm honored to have worked my way to the bottom of the ladder that they have climbed. I look forward to increasing my speed and distance, and with luck being the first to fly in a few more events. Perhaps I'll be the first to ever fly across the Chesapeake Bay!

http://openwaterpedia.com/index.php?title=Brian_Suddeth
http://openwaterpedia.com/index.php?title=Butterfly
http://dailynews.openwaterswimming.c...pen-water.html
Old 08-17-2013

As for Tom Boettcher, I'm not sure what to think about him. I've spoken to another flyer who says his Big Shoulders swims are done using Butterfrog kick, not double dolphin and he wears a wetsuit. Those tend to put an asterisk on the swims in my mind. He's obviously very fit and talented though.